Monday, February 8, 2021

First Project Ideas (Expanded)

 I've been thinking primarily about the sword in the stone, and how the tale of Arthur solidifies the god-chosen quality of the early nobility. I wanted to remake the sword in the stone to better represent the rise of a new noble family. I want the sword to be represent not only power, but wealth. I went to the Met recently and saw so many cool swords, armor, and armored horses, and I want to replicate that sort of style with plaster over pencil rod. 

Another idea I had would be related to 'the pen is mightier than the sword,' where it's a giant pen head connected to a cross-guard. It would represent the idea that the pen might be 'mightier' but using both force and propaganda, as dictators do, is far more effective than using one or the other. Both of these ideas are geared towards 'power' and what it represents materialistically.


                                                                     (Drawn in Tuxpaint)

I'm leaning more towards the first idea, and I think instead of in stone, the sword will be held in water. I liked the way the bottles looked for the box project and I want to continue the water theme. I'm Atl, meaning water, on the Aztec calendar, and as I am obsessed with Nahuatl artwork and mythos it's something I, not necessarily believe in, but do not take lightly. The water would be held in a metal cauldron (sheet-metal with a black patina) which fits the medieval theme and also has the motif of potion-making, concoction, scheming, or conspiring (against witches). It also plays into the motif that anyone can take power as cauldrons were common for peasants to cook, mix herbs, and make black salt. I'd also use sheet-metal over the frame of the sword. The message would be that power falls into the hands of, not those chosen by God, but the first to take up arms (and has the financial means to do so) either in political warfare or actual. However, the idea is that anyone can take power, as the sword is held in water.


Scale and Plaster Design Concept:



No comments:

Post a Comment